This make-ahead dessert from Oxbow chef Sean Cutler is summer in a bowl. Feel free to swap out one type of berries for another, You can also try using juicy Okanagan stone fruits like peaches, plums and nectarines.
1 cup soft butter
¾ cup icing sugar
½ tablespoon maple syrup
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
5 cups of mixed, fresh BC blueberries, blackberries and diced strawberries
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In stand mixer with paddle attachment or in bowl, beat together butter, icing sugar and maple syrup until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the flour until just until combined.
- Shape the dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap then refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Cut waxed paper to the size of your baking sheet
- Roll out dough between the waxed paper to 1/4-inch thick.
- Place onto baking sheet remove the top waxed paper, and refrigerate for 20 min
- Bake, at 325F until edges are light golden, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool then crumble into big chunks.
- Melt butter in a large pan on medium heat
- Add sugar and stir until incorporated.
- Next, add the berries and cook until soft, about 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Stir in lemon juice then remove from heat, but cover to keep warm.
- Pour warm berry mixture into a serving bowl, top with the crumbled maple short cake and a scoop of mint semifreddo. Place a few mint leaves on top for garnish.