Braised cabbage pairs well with most types of roast meat whether you've got a big pork shoulder braisin in the oven or just a few chicken thighs.
1 whole red cabbage, quartered, cored, and shaved thin
1 red onion, sliced
2 apples, peeled, cored and cubed
¼ ham, cut into medium size cubes
1 cup (240 mL) red wine
1 cup (240 mL) apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp cinnamon
To taste salt and pepper
- On high heat, place a medium-to-large pot with a lid on the stove top.
- Add olive oil, onions and ham. Cook for approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add apples and cabbage. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add wine, vinegar, cinnamon, salt and pepper, cover with a lid and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Let cabbage simmer for 45 minutes to an hour until the cabbage is tender.
- Taste and re-season if necessary.