85 g duck fat
50 mL grated garlic
1.25 kg mirepoix (diced onions, celery, carrots)
2.5 kg navy beans (already soaked in water for 24 hours)
6 cups (1.5 L) light chicken stock (less sodium or no sodium)
1 rosemary sprig, finely chopped
28 g fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
To taste salt and black pepper
- Using a large pot, melt duck fat on medium heat. Add garlic and mirepoix, and sauté until soft.
- Add beans and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken stock until the bean mixture is just covered. Add rosemary, thyme and bay leaf.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then turn the heat down to medium.
- Cover and cook for around an hour and a half or until beans are tender. Stir constantly to prevent burning at the bottom of the pot. Note: you may need more stock while cooking. Add as needed.
- If you can, leave the cassoulet overnight for the flavours to combine and develop.