Recipe By Buon Giorno Ristorante Italiano, Photography by Ingrid Kuenzel
225 g squid tubes (we like to use the size U/10)
1 cup flour to coat the squid tubes
To taste salt
Canola or corn oil for deep frying
1 Tbs (15 mL) olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, diced
1 cup (240 mL) good tomato sauce (preferably made with San Marzano tomatoes)
- Thaw squid (if frozen) and cut tubes into slices approximately 8 mm thick.
- Place flour in a bowl, and season with salt.
- Place canola or corn oil in a deep frying pan and heat to 375º F.
- In another skillet sauté the garlic and the chili flakes in a tablespoon of olive oil until the garlic becomes slightly browned, and then add the tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- When canola/corn oil is at temperature dip the calamari into the flour and deep fry until crispy. Drain excess oil on a napkin and then add to the hot tomato sauce. Toss a few times until the calamari is coated, and then plate.