3⁄4 cup (170 g) butter, room temperature
2 cups all-purpose our
2/3 cup icing sugar
1 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1⁄2 tsp ground cardamom
Pinch ground black pepper
1⁄2 tsp ground fennel
Pinch ground cloves
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄4 tsp black tea (from a tea bag or ground)
1⁄4 cup (55g) candied ginger, small dice
Sugar to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Add butter to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, then sift flour, icing sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, fennel, cloves, salt, and black tea into the mixing bowl.
- Mix on low speed with the paddle attachment until all ingredients have been combined evenly.
- Add the candied ginger to the bowl and mix until incorporated.
- Shape the dough in a ball and flatten slightly. Chill for 5 minutes.
- Dust your workspace with flour and gently roll out your dough in a rectangle shape about 1 cm thick. Cut your dough into squares or rectangles, or another shape.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes then turn the baking sheet around and continue baking another 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and dust with granulated sugar. Remove cookies from cookie sheet and let cool.