Recipe Courtesy of Dieter Garson, Atco Blue Flame Kitchen
This recipe is easy to prep ahead, easy to cook when your guests arrive, and even easier to eat.
2 Kg yellow potatoes
1 Tbs (15 mL) canola oil
1 Tbs mustard powder
1½ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
½ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups diced bacon
1 cup shredded aged cheddar cheese
¾ cup thinly sliced green onion
¼ cup basil
1 cup (240 mL) sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Combine potatoes, oil, mustard powder, salt, thyme, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper in medium
- bowl. Transfer potatoes to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for one hour, or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 400º F.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté bacon until crispy, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to
- a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside 2 Tbs of bacon fat.
- When cool enough to handle, cut potatoes in half length-wise. Spoon potato pulp out of each half and save
- for other use. Cut each shell in half lengthwise.
- Transfer potato quarters, skin side down, to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with bacon fat.
- Bake until crispy, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove skins from oven. Top with bacon and cheese. Continue to bake until cheese is melted, about 5
- minutes. Remove from oven. Garnish with green onion and basil. Serve with sour cream.