1 cup (240 mL) milk
1 cup (240 mL) water
225 g butter, cubed
1 Tbs sugar
1¼ tsp salt
1¼ cups (300 g) flour, sifted
450 g eggs (about 9 eggs)
2 cups (500 mL) milk
1 vanilla bean, halved and scraped
½ cup (125 g) fine sugar/caster sugar
100 g egg yolks (about 2 yolks)
2 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs custard powder
2 Tbs butter
- Choux Pastry:
- In a saucepan, bring milk, water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil.
- Take off heat, and add flour. Place saucepan back on low heat and let cook until you see the batter start to come away from the sides of the pan.
- Place in a mixer. Gradually add eggs until you’ve reached a ribbon-like texture. The mixture should fall from a spoon, but still hold its shape.
- Pipe 10cm long éclairs onto a lightly greased tray with a #8 tip. Bake at 350º F for around 30 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden.
- Crème Patissiere:
- In a saucepan, boil milk with vanilla beans. Remove from heat. Cover and infuse for one hour. Mix sugar with egg yolks, and then add cornstarch, custard powder and bourbon.
- To assemble, use a small star tip to make three holes in the top of the eclair. Pipe crème inside with a piping bag, and then pipe large stars in a wave on top of the eclair. Top with chocolate discs.