There shouldn’t be anything to feel guilty about, but cornbread is definitely one of my hidden pleasures. I honestly could eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even a midnight snack. How excited was I when I came across this simple recipe for coconut cornbread!
1½ cups cornmeal
2½ cups (600 mL) coconut milk
2 cups flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup butter
- Preheat your oven to 400º F. Combine cornmeal and coconut milk in a small bowl and let stand for about five minutes.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs, butter and cornmeal mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Grease a small baking pan and pour in the batter.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick poked into the centre of the bread comes out clean.
- Optional: I like to mix a little brown sugar, butter and shredded coconut (sweetened) and spread evenly over the warm cake once it’s out of the oven. Broil until lightly browned, about four minutes (keep an eye on it as it burns easily if left for too long!).