3 cups (720 mL) water
3 cups (720 mL) white vinegar
1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs pickling salt
1.5 kg baby carrots, washed and scrubbed
3 bay leaves
3 large cloves garlic
3 shallots, peeled and halved
3 tsp whole black peppercorns
3 tsp whole coriander seeds
3 x 1 L canning jars
- Sterilize all 3 jars and lids. Bring a large stockpot of water to the boil for sterilizing the filled jars later.
- Bring the brine (water, vinegar, salt) to a boil. Keep it on the stove over low heat until needed.
- In each jar, put 1 bay leaf, 1 garlic clove, 1 shallot, 1 tsp black peppercorns, and 1 tsp coriander seeds. Pack ¹/ ³ of the baby carrots into each jar, fitting as many into each jar as possible.
- Pour the hot brine into each jar (using a funnel to minimize spillage) leaving about 1 cm of headspace at the top.
- Put the lids on securely, but leave a bit of room to tighten them further. Boil for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the boiling water and allow to cool to room temperature. Flipping them upside down can help ensure that they seal properly.
- Once cooled, store in a cool, dry place for least 2 weeks before eating.
- Note: If you don’t want to can the pickles, you can use the same recipe and simply refrigerate the pickled carrots until they are ready to eat.