2 Tbs (30 mL) canola oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs fresh ginger, grated
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground turmeric
1½ cups split red lentils, rinsed
1 can (398 ml) coconut milk
2 cups (480 mL) vegetable broth
2 Tbs (30 mL) tomato paste
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 Tbs (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
½ cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil and let it warm up for 30 seconds. Stir in the diced onion and carrots. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Next, stir in the garlic and ginger, and cook for another minute or two. Add in the spices and cook for 1 minute, being sure to stir often so they don’t burn on the bottom.
- Add the lentils and the coconut milk, being sure to scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pot (use a splash or two of water to deglaze if necessary).
- Add vegetable broth, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and bring the dhal to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, stir and simmer for about 20 minutes, with the lid slightly ajar. Be sure to stir every 5 minutes or so.
- When the lentils and vegetables are tender, stir in the lemon juice and cilantro, and adjust the seasonings. Serve over steamed basmati rice.