Oven baking paella isn't traditional, but is just as delicious.
¾ tsp saffron threads
1 Tbs (15 mL hot water
3 Tbs (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup (60 mL) white wine
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 chorizo sausage, sliced into ½ cm pieces
2 large red pepper, cut into 1 cm pieces
1½ cups (360 mL) of canned fire-roasted tomatoes or 2 medium tomatoes, diced
5 cups (1.25 L) chicken stock
2½ cups Bomba rice
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-size pieces
16 shelled, deveined shrimp (size 21-25)
1 Tbs chopped flat leaf parsley
1 lemon, cut into wedges
To taste salt & pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Infuse the saffron threads in the hot water.
- Season chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and 1 tsp garlic.
- In a large skillet cook the onion in 1 Tbs (15 mL) olive oil until transparent. Add the remaining garlic and red pepper and cook for another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- While the vegetables are cooking, cook the chorizo in another small pan. Add to the onions.
- In the same skillet, add 2 Tbs oil (30 mL) and brown the chicken. Set aside. Add wine to the skillet and stir up the bits remaining in the skillet. Add the tomatoes, cook for another 2 minutes. Pour over the chicken.
- In the same skillet, add rice and chicken stock and saffron. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven on the lowest rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Check the seasoning. Top with vegetables and chicken. Cover and bake for another 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently stir in the shrimp. Cover and cook for approximately 8 minutes (or until shrimp is just cooked).