A good glazed ham is next to godliness and this recipe is certainly no exception. Any leftovers are perfect for sandwiches the next day or diced up and adding to a simple breakfast hash.
1 1.5 kg locally raised ham, scored
1 onion, chopped or julienned
2 cups (480 mL) ham or chicken stock
1 cup (240 mL) maple syrup
¼ cup (60 mL) your favourite bourbon
2 Tbs butter
1 Tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
¼ cup (60 mL) orange juice, and orange zest
1 Tsp (5 mL) bitters, flavour of your choice
- Place scored ham in a roasting pan with the onion and stock.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small pot on the stove and simmer on low heat for 7 minutes. Brush or spoon a quarter of the glaze over the ham.
- Bake for approximately 2-2½ hours or to an internal temperature of 160º F, basting with remaining glaze every 20-30 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes covered before serving.