½ cup (120 mL) water
3 Tbs gelatin
2 cups sugar
½ cup (120 mL) whipping cream
¼ cup (60 mL) maple syrup
1 tsp Vanilla extract
½ cup icing sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
- Line an 8 x 8” pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Pour the water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Sprinkle the gelatin on top, set aside.
- Place sugar, cream, and maple syrup in a saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook without stirring until candy thermometer reads 240° F, around 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour the syrup mixture into gelatin mixture and whisk on low until combined. Once combined, increase speed to high and beat until thick and fluffy, and mixture triples in volume, about 10 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Using a lightly oiled spatula, scrape the mixture into the prepared pan. Use a lightly oiled angled spatula to smooth out top (surface will not be completely even). Set aside to cool at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and cornstarch until well combined. Use a serrated knife slice marshmallow into 2 cm cubes, and toss in powdered sugar mixture. Dust with nutmeg. Marshmallows will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.