Some restaurant dishes are so memorable that you dream about them at night. This Red Curry Sauce from Foreign Concept is one of those dishes, and much requested by people who’ve enjoyed it. Many thanks to chefs Duncan Ly and Jinhee Lee for sharing their recipe.
1½ stalks lemongrass, pounded
½ yellow onion, diced large
60 mL ginger, thin sliced
½ bulb of garlic, peeled and smashed
2 Tbs (30 mL) vegetable oil
2 scallions, white parts only
2 lime leaves
½ bunch of cilantro
25 g palm sugar
55 g red curry paste
3 1/3 cups (800 mL) vegetable stock
1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
2 limes, juiced
Fish sauce to season
- Sweat lemongrass, yellow onions, ginger, and garlic in vegetable oil until vegetables are soft.
- Add scallions, lime leaves, cilantro, and palm sugar, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add curry paste and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable stock and cook about 40 minutes, then add coconut milk and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Put through a fine strainer. Season with lime juice, fish sauce and salt if desired.