Recipe courtesy of Matt Phillips, Northern Chicken
Try this unique Tex-Mex twist on homemade dumplings from Matt Phillips. These are the perfect finger food for game day, your guests are sure to be impressed!
500 g ground beef
Oil for frying
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
2 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs cumin
1 Tbs coriander
1 Tbs chili flakes
2 tsp cayenne
To taste salt and pepper
100 g frozen corn
200 g shredded cheddar cheese
1 pack dumpling wrappers (Wing brand or other)
Salsa and sour cream, to serve
- Fry ground beef in frying pan with a bit of oil until brown. Add jalapeno and spices. Drain oil, and set beef aside in a bowl.
- In a hot pan, add small amount of oil and pan-roast corn. Add to same bowl as beef.
- Add cheddar cheese into bowl, and stir all ingredients together.
- Open dumpling wrappers. Place damp dish cloth or paper towel over stack to prevent from drying out. Fill a small bowl with cold water.
- Take one dumpling wrapper, dip finger in bowl of cold water, and trace the edge of the wrapper to wet it. Place 1 tsp of mixed filling into center of dumpling and fold over. Using forefinger and thumb, create four pleats in dough while pushing together into a half moon shape. Place on parchment lined plate or sheet pan.
- Once all dumplings are made, heat oiled pan to medium heat. Add 1 Tbs oil, and fry dumplings until golden brown on both sides.
- Add ¼ cup water and cover pan. Steam dumplings for a few minutes.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream.