Provision’s Signature Smoked Potatoes
450 g baby creamer potatoes
2 Tbs kosher salt
2 Tbs butter
Dash olive oil
Squeeze of lemon
1 cup wood chips (cherry)
Arugula for garnish
- Place potatoes in a medium sized pot. Fill with cold water and add salt. Gently simmer potatoes for one hour, until completely soft. Strain and cool.
- Place the cooled potatoes on the counter, and gently apply pressure with your palm until you feel the skin split. Only crush slightly or the potatoes will be too overwhelmed with smoke.
- In an old stovetop vegetable steamer, place your woodchips in the bottom of the pot. To get the woodchips going, place on low-medium heat on the stove. With a torch or barbecue lighter, light the chips.
- Once the chips are on fire, place the potatoes in the perforated top and put the lid on (the fire will die out due to lack of oxygen). Leave the heat on for five minutes, then turn off and let sit for an additional five minutes.
- After the potatoes are smoked, place them in a pan with some foaming butter on low heat, turning every two minutes to get nice, crispy skin.
- Season the potatoes, and then finish with a little garlic aioli, a soft poached egg, and some arugula dressed with olive oil and lemon.