Photograph courtesy Alberta Pulse Growers
This colourful crowd-pleaser From Alberta Pulse Growers is always a favourite with both guests and hosts as it can be prepared well in advance (just don’t add the dressing until you are ready to serve!) The texture of the cooked split yellow peas and lentils goes terrifically well with the crunch of the carrots, apples, cabbage and peppers. Yum!
½ cup dried yellow split peas, rinsed & drained
1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed & drained
2 apples, diced, or 2 cups sliced green grapes
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup grated purple cabbage
1 cup diced sweet yellow or red pepper
3 green onions, finely sliced
½ cup grated or crumbled cheese (Blue, Cheddar, Gouda, Edam, Brick)
¼ cup pecan pieces, toasted
¼ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup (60 mL) apple cider vinegar
¼ cup (60mL) canola oil, cold pressed if available
2 Tbs (30 mL) liquid honey
2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup (250 mL) water and split peas. Cover and bring to a gentle boil then reduce heat and simmer until moisture is absorbed and peas are tender, but not mushy, about 20 minutes. Drain, gently rinse and cool.
- In a separate saucepan combine 2 cups (500 mL) water and lentils. Cover and bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat and simmer until moisture is absorbed and lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, gently rinse and cool.
- Meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a clear/glass salad bowl, layer ingredients starting with the cabbage, pepper, fruit, yellow peas, carrot and ending with lentils (or whichever order you prefer).
- Sprinkle topping ingredients evenly over the cooked lentils.
- Serve with dressing on the side to drizzle over the salad once it’s plated.