One-Bowl Beer and Cheese Bread
Preheat the oven to 375º F. Grease a 9x5” loaf pan and line it with parchment paper so that the edges overhang.
Add the flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large mixing bowl. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Pour in the beer and stir to mix until it is evenly incorporated. You likely won’t use all of the beer. I had a satisfactory batter with 2 Tbs of beer leftover. Drink up!
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 35 minutes.
Pour the melted butter evenly over the bread and bake for another 5 minutes, until the top is golden.
Remove the bread from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan and let it cool completely before slicing.
Best served the day it’s made, but also makes fantastic toast.
- 1 Tbs finely chopped fresh rosemary or thyme
- 1 Tbs minced fresh garlic
- Substitute 2 Tbs liquid honey for the sugar
- Substitute Gruyère for the cheddar
- Add a pinch of red-pepper flakes or smoked paprika