This tangy, fruit-filled puff pastry layered with dollops of rosemary pastry cream will make the perfect end to your Christmas meal. Leave this dessert out on Christmas Eve and you can be sure Santa Claus will be making a stop at your house!
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed (can be store bought)
1 Tbs (15 mL) cream
15 g sugar
2 stalks rhubarb, thinly sliced
6 strawberries, sliced
40 mL fresh orange juice
½ orange, zested
2 Tbs (30 mL) water
½ cup (125 mL) milk
3 sprigs rosemary
3 egg yolks
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs cornstarch
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
1/3 cup (80 mL) cream
1 tsp icing sugar
- Heat the milk over medium high heat until it starts to gently bubble. Add rosemary sprigs and remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl and let cool, reserve overnight in the fridge.
- Remove the rosemary from the milk. Pour the milk into a small pot and place over a medium heat.
- While the milk is reheating, place yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk.
- Add sugar and cornstarch to yolks, and whisk until light in colour and foamy. While whisking, slowly pour half the milk into the egg mixture.
- Return mixture to the pot, whisk constantly until mixture starts to bubble then remove from heat. Strain into a clean bowl.
- Cover with saran wrap, making sure wrap is touching the custard so it doesn’t form a skin. Cool and refrigerate until cold.
- Whisk the cream and icing sugar until stiff and gently fold into the pastry cream.
- Add rhubarb, strawberries, orange juice, water and sugar to a small pot, and gently heat for about 5 minutes to soften the fruit and incorporate the flavours.
- Remove from heat and stir in the orange zest. Let cool.
- Cut pastry into 18 pieces 10 x 5 cm, and brush with cream. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Lay another piece of parchment on top, and then place another baking sheet on top of the parchment to stop the puff pastry from rising.
- Bake at 375º F degrees for 20 minutes. If your pastry doesn't look quite done, remove the extra parchment and baking sheet and bake another 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place 6 pastry rectangles onto a serving platter or individual plates. Place strawberry-rhubarb on top. Top with another puff pastry rectangle.
- Pipe or spoon pastry cream on top of the puff pastry. Top with the third puff pastry rectangle and sift over some icing sugar to garnish. Serve immediately.
Note: You can make these smaller and use them as a sweet appetizer.