4 Alberta lamb shanks
To taste salt and pepper
6 Tbs (100 mL) extra virgin olive oil
300 g white onion, small dice
250 g celery, small dice
300 g carrots, small dice
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs ground cumin
½ Tbs ground coriander
½ Tbs ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
2 cups (500 mL) red wine
½ cup (120 mL) tomato paste
8 cups (2 L) vegetable stock
8 cups (2 L) Roma tomatoes, diced
- Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Place on a roasting rack and “sear” in a 450º F oven for 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, sweat onions, celery and carrots in olive oil.
- Add spices and continue to cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place shanks in a deep ovenproof dish and cover with sauce.
- Braise at 300º F for 5 hours.