This simple salad is the perfect way to enjoy seasonal tomatoes before the end of summer!
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup (240 mL) sour cream or crème fraîche
450 g tomatoes, mixed variety
2 Tbs (30 mL) red wine vinegar
2 Tbs (30 mL) cold pressed canola oil (more for drizzling)
To taste, kosher salt
To taste, cracked black pepper
¼ red onion, sliced
Toasted sunflower seeds, to garnish
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the feta cheese until almost smooth.
- Add the sour cream and continue to pulse until it is a smooth consistency. Set aside (this will make more than you need for this recipe, but it’s great as a dip or on burgers)
- Cut the tomatoes, some into quarters, some slices, get a mix of sizes and shapes.
- Mix together the vinegar and oil, salt and pepper, and any juices that accumulate while cutting the tomatoes.
- Toss tomatoes and onions with the vinegar oil “dressing”. Taste and let sit 10 minutes. Taste again and adjust seasonings, as tomatoes taste different throughout the season.
- To serve, smear some whipped feta on the bottom of a plate, and pile on the tomatoes. Garnish with toasted sunflower seeds and kosher salt.
- Drizzle with a little cold pressed canola and enjoy!