Knowing how to make this classic salad is a must for any passionate home cook. Here, Paul Shufelt of Edmonton's Workshop shows you the way.
450 g albacore tuna
450 g baby potatoes, boiled until fork tender
1 cup fresh green beans, cleaned and blanched
4 tomatoes, or 1 package baby tomatoes
4 eggs, hard-boiled for 12 minutes
½ cup olives
4 cups spring mix (optional)
For the dressing:
25 g miso paste
20 g wasabi powder
½ bunch cilantro
½ cup (120 mL) mirin
½ cup (120 mL) rice vinegar
1 cup (240 mL) canola oil
1 lime, juice only
¼ cup (60 mL) honey
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender or use a hand mixer and mix until fairly smooth. Set aside.
- Season the tuna on all sides with salt and pepper. Place a heavy bottom pan on high heat. When very hot, add 1 Tbs (15 mL) cooking oil and sear the tuna on all sides, cooking quickly so as to sear the outside, but not overcook the centre. Your desired temperature is blue rare, to rare. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly before slicing.
- Half the baby potatoes, slice the tomatoes into wedges, and slice the eggs.
- Place the vegetables and lettuce in a bowl and drizzle with dressing. Season and stir to combine.
- Place decoratively on the serving plates and garnish with the olives and eggs. Slice the fish thinly and gently place over the top of the salads. Serve immediately.