2 gala apples, peeled, cored and sliced
6 Fuji apples, peeled, cored and sliced
105 g brown sugar
60 g butter
½ cup (125 mL) cider
pinch sea salt
½ lemon, zested and juiced
10 g cinnamon
125 dried cranberries
200 g walnuts, roughly chopped
400 g oats
175 g walnuts, roughly chopped
75 g brown sugar
4 g cinnamon
60 g butter, melted
¼ cup (60 mL) cider
125 g goat fromage blanc
1 cup (250 mL) cream
60 g icing sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- In a cast iron pan, melt butter and brown sugar on medium high and whisk to combine. Add apple slices (you may have to add half the apples then once they have cooked for about 5 minutes add the other half).
- Add the salt, lemon juice and cinnamon and stir into the apples. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the cider and let cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add the walnuts, lemon zest and dried cranberries.
- Topping: In a medium bowl, combine the oats, walnuts, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and cider, stirring.
- Sprinkle over the top of the crisp, then bake for 45 minutes or until bubbling and hot in the centre.
- Remove from oven and cool. Serve in cast iron pan with cream on the side.
- Whip the cream until medium peaks form.
- Whip the goat cheese with the icing sugar and vanilla until soft.
- Fold in 1/3 of the whipped cream then fold the mixture into the remaining whipped cream.
- Serve with the apple crisp.