Photo by Natalie Findlay
*Note: this cake is thinner and more moist than a regular cake.
65 g butter
65 g brown sugar
3 Tbs (45 mL) cider
3 medium gala apples, peeled, cored, sliced
5 medium gala apples, peeled and cored
300 g flour
100 g sugar
10 g baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
5 g ground ginger
8 g cinnamon
100 g sour cream
60 g butter
¼ cup (60 mL) cider
- Place butter and brown sugar in sauté pan to melt. Whisk to combine, then add cider and whisk again. Add apple slices, cook for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Cut parchment paper to fit, and lay in the base of your baking pan.
- Butter parchment and lay apple slices in a pattern on top. Pour remaining juices into the pan, reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Grate apples, and set aside.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, mace and ginger.
- In a small bowl whisk together butter, egg, cider and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients, and add shredded apple.
- Spoon mixture over apples in the pan and even out batter. Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack 10 minutes, invert onto serving plate and cool completely.