Recipe courtesy Kenneth Titcombe, Ranchmen's Club
Photo by Ingrid Kuenzel
6 Arctic char fillets, skin on (180 g each)
1 Kg Agria Potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes
1 cup (250ml) 1% milk, heated
3/4 cup (200mL) sour cream
100 g unsalted butter
50 g wasabi paste
50 g parsley, washed and fine chopped to paste
To taste, sea salt
1 cup (250ml) fresh fish or chicken stock
3 Tbs (50 mL) soya sauce
2 limes, juice and rind
1 ginger root, grated
3 Tbs (50 mL) Saki or dry white wine
1 shallot, finely diced
1 stalk lemon grass, grated
½ tsp cornstarch
1 shiitake mushroom
1 baby carrot
1 baby bok choy
3 heirloom cherry tomatoes
1 Cipollini onion, slow roasted
1 yellow pepper
1 stalk lemon grass
- Boil potatoes until soft, puree until smooth. Add milk, butter and sour cream, season with salt & wasabi. Mix in the parsley puree just before serving.
- Prepare the garnishes so the dish can be assembled quickly when the fish is ready.
- Season and pan-sear char in in olive oil and butter, skin side first. Gently turn and brown both sides. Either cover with a lid or place in 350º F oven for 3 - 5 minutes.
- To plate, form potato into a quenelle shape, then ladle the sauce around and place char, skin side up on top. Arrange all the vegetables artistically, alternating the colours.
- Garnish with lemon grass, lime and slices of pickled ginger.
- Heat all ingredients till translucent and lightly thickened.