Photo and recipe by Natalie Findlay
300 mL whipping cream
50g icing sugar
1 lime, juiced
1 large egg
3 large egg yolks
150 mL honey
100 mL fresh lime juice
1 lime, zested
1 large, ripe mango, cubed
- Line 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving a generous overhang.
- Using electric mixer, beat whipping cream and icing sugar in large bowl until soft peaks form. Refrigerate.
- Whisk egg, yolks, honey and lime juice in medium metal bowl to blend. Set bowl over medium pot of simmering water and whisk (with a wire balloon whisk or a hand mixer) constantly until yolk mixture is thick and fluffy and instant-read thermometer inserted into mixture registers 170° F, about 4 minutes.
- Remove bowl from pot of simmering water. Using wire whisk or electric mixer, beat mixture until cool, thick, and doubled in volume, about 6 minutes.
- Remove skin and seed from the 2 avocados and place them in a small bowl along with the juice of 1 lime. Whip until smooth.
- Fold the whipped cream into the avocado mixture. Fold the cream/avocado mixture into the egg and honey mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and smooth top. Fold plastic wrap over top to cover. Freeze semifreddo until firm, 4 hours or overnight.
- Unfold plastic wrap from top of semifreddo and invert onto dessert platter; remove plastic wrap. Dip a large knife into hot water; cut semifreddo crosswise into thick slices. Transfer to plates and spoon cubed mango alongside.
Note: semifreddo can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.