2 Tbs (30 mL) canola oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 red potatoes, diced
2 Tbs (30 mL) tomato paste
½ cup (120 mL) red wine
8 cups (2 L) chicken stock
2 cups (500 mL) water
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 medium carrots, 5 mm sliced
1 medium kohlrabi, peeled and diced
1 medium zucchini, halved and 1 cm sliced
½ tsp fresh oregano
½ tsp fresh thyme
1 bunch swiss chard, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
5 cups cooked fusili pasta (I used the ‘corti col buco’ variety which you can find at any Italian grocer, but any shorter pasta will work)
- Heat canola oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, incorporate tomato paste and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the next 9 ingredients and once mixture comes to a boil, reduce to medium heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, add Swiss chard and pasta, and let cook for 5 more minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.