4 kg bison short ribs (cut English Style if possible)
4 Tbs butter
1 large onion, rough chop
2 carrots, rough chop
6 cloves garlic, rough chop
2 cups (500 mL) red wine
6 cups (1.5 L) beef stock
1 400 g can peeled whole tomatoes
2 sprigs rosemary
5 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs oregano
2 sprigs sage
5 sprigs parsley
2 bay leaves
To taste salt and pepper
6 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 cups (750 mL) warm water
Plenty of corn oil to fry in
- Heat a braising pan over medium-high heat, it will take 3‒4 minutes to get hot.
- If the meaty side of the short ribs have a layer of fat, use your boning knife to remove it. Season the ribs liberally with salt and pepper, rubbing in thoroughly.
- Add butter to the hot pan until it melts and the foam subsides. Lay the short ribs into the pan and begin browning them. Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Remove the bison short rib and add the veggies. With a wooden spoon, stir the veggies around. Cook until the onions begin to get transparent and a little caramelized.
- Add the wine, 1 cup (250 mL) chicken stock, and tomatoes. Scrape up the drippings stuck to the bottom of the pan. These are known as known as fond, and add richness to the sauce.
- Bring the braising liquid to a boil for a minute or two then add the ribs back in. Turn off heat. Add the herbs to the pot and cover with lid. Cook in oven for one hour.
- After an hour, remove the pan from the oven. Remove lid and flip the ribs over. Re-cover the braising pan and put it back in the oven for another hour. Flip the ribs again. Repeat this process for a total cooking time of 4 hours. When the ribs are done, let them rest for 10 minutes before serving them. Add a little lemon zest on top for a nice touch.
- Stir your flour, baking powder, and salt together in a glass mixing bowl.
- Add warm water and stir into dry ingredients to make a dough.
- Knead the dough on floured wax paper.
- Flatten the dough into palm-size pieces.
- Fry the dough in hot oil (about 350º F) for 3 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oil, let cool and enjoy.