photo by Ingrid Kuenzel
1 cup yellow mustard seeds
1 cup (240 mL) rice wine vinegar
¾ cup (180 mL) water
¾ cup (180 mL) bourbon
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs Kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over low heat.
- Cook until the seeds are plump and tender (about an hour). If too much liquid evaporates, add just enough water to cover the seeds.
- Sterilize mason jars & lids.
- Pour hot seeds into the jars but leave a 5-8 mm gap to the top. Clean off the rim of any spillage.
- Put lid and screw top on the jar and submerge in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Carefully take the jars from the water and let cool completely on a wire rack. DO NOT TOUCH THE SNAP LID. Let the lids naturally seal; you will hear them “pop”.