3½ cups (812 mL) water
1½ anise pods
9 green cardamom pods
4 bay leaves
½ tsp whole black peppercorns, cracked
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 bag black tea
4 Tbs (60 mL) honey
1 cup (250 mL) milk (or milk substitute)
1 Tbs (15 mL) orange liqueur
2 Tbs (30 mL) cinnamon whiskey
2 Tbs (30 mL) mint simple syrup
1 cup (240 mL) water
½ cup (120 mL) sugar
- Add water to a small pot over medium-high heat.
- In a small piece of cheesecloth, add the anise, cardamom, bay leaves, peppercorns and fennel seeds and tie to seal. Add to the water and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the tea bag and return to a boil. Turn off heat and let simmer 5 minutes. Remove tea bag and cheesecloth.
- Add honey and stir to combine. Let mixture cool and then refrigerate until very cold.
- When ready to serve: Add milk or milk substitute. Add orange liqueur, cinnamon whisky and simple syrup. Serve with lots of ice.
- Bring water and sugar to a boil for 2 minutes, making sure all the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- If you would like to add the herbs in the recipes, add a sprig of rosemary or a few leaves of sage or mint to the pot. Remove before serving.