Photo by Ingrid Kuenzel
12 medium sized rainbow carrots, organic if possible
2 blood oranges
1 small red onion
5-8 fresh basil leaves (save some for garnish)
1 shallot, peeled and quartered
¼ cup (60 mL) champagne vinegar
¼ cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs (15 mL) Dijon mustard
1 tsp (5 mL) honey
Lemon juice and zest from ½ lemon
3/4 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Wash 12 medium sized rainbow carrots under cold water with a scrub brush, removing a fine layer of peel. Peel carrots lengthwise to create long ribbons using as much of the carrot as possible.
- Place carrot ribbons in cold water to crisp. Drain and dry ribbons just before you need them.
- Segment two blood oranges and julienne the onion
- Julienne basil leaves, saving some for garnish
- Pulse all vinaigrette ingredients together in a blender, then toss carrot ribbons, julienne basil, red onions, champagne vinaigrette and salt & pepper to taste.
- Use tongs to place salad into bowl or plate and pour remaining dressing over. Garnish with a few basil leaves.