Photo by Ingrid Kuenzel
2 yellow and 2 green zucchini
1/2 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 2.5 cm pieces
5 spears asparagus, cut into 2.5 cm pieces
1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil, divided
1/2 Tbs (7 mL) lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
1/4 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 tsp lemon zest
1/3 cup basil leaves, chopped
1/3 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup baby spinach
3 Tbs (45 mL) balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 450º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a Japanese mandolin with the medium-tooth blade, slice both green and yellow zucchini lengthwise. If you don’t have a Japanese mandolin, julienne zucchini finely. Make sure not to slice down to the seeds (they will fall apart and make the dish mushy).
- Place zucchini in a bowl and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- Toss red pepper, tomatoes, green beans, and asparagus together in a bowl with 2 Tbs olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Arrange vegetables on the baking sheet and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Take zucchini out of the bowl and place on paper towel to drain.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet. Cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add zucchini and sauté lightly for 3 to 5 minutes then add lemon zest, basil, parsley, spinach, and balsamic vinegar. Gently toss and cook until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with roasted vegetables and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.