1 kg Roma tomatoes, diced
3½ Tbs (50 mL) olive or grapeseed oil
¾ cup red onion, finely diced
2 Tbs jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
1 Tbs crushed garlic
1½ Tbs fresh ginger, minced
4 Tbs sugar
1/3 cup (80 mL) white balsamic vinegar
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 Tbs kosher salt
- Smoke your tomatoes on a lined tray at 200º F for about 40 minutes with apple or cherry wood chips (they’re done when edges of the tray get dry and tomatoes are soft to the touch).
- Add oil to a wide-bottomed pot on medium heat. Once hot, add onion, jalapeño, garlic and ginger. Sauté until onion starts to caramelize. Adjust heat as needed — don’t burn the garlic!
- Stir in sugar and vinegar, until sugar is dissolved.
- Add smoked paprika and tomato paste. Mix well. Add smoked tomatoes and drop heat to a simmer.
- Cook down until you get a nice consistency. Season with salt.
*Helpful hint: Do all prep ahead of time. If you like a sweeter jam, just add more sugar. Keeps for two weeks in the fridge in a covered container.