The versatile zucchini does not disappoint in the dessert area either. This delicious zucchini loaf is a favourite at any time of day, and a healthier option!
Photo by Natalie Findlay
400 g all-purpose flour
200 g sugar
125 g brown sugar
175 g cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs (15 mL) vanilla extract
1¼ cups (300 mL) vegetable oil
2 small zucchini, grated
225 g cream cheese, room temperature
60 g butter, room temperature
250 g icing sugar, sifted
½ vanilla bean, scraped
½ orange, zested
candied walnuts, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Butter and flour a 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl add dry ingredients.
- In another medium bowl add the eggs and oil and whisk to combine. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix to combine by hand or with a mixer.
- Stir in the zucchini until incorporated and pour into pan, bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Place the cream cheese in a medium bowl and beat with and electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the butter and beat until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar in 2 batches and beat until smooth.
- Scrape ½ a vanilla bean and add the orange zest and add into the icing, mix until incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to spread unto cake.
- Spread icing on loaf, grate over some extra orange zest and garnish with candied walnuts.