Recipe by Christa Bedwin
3½ Tbs cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar (raw or granulated)
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or approximately ½ tsp each cloves, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon)
1 pinch sea salt
1 2/3 cup (400 mL) milk
½ (2.5 mL) tsp vanilla extract
2 cups cooked carrot puree
2 cups pitted dates
1 cup pecans
1 cup almonds
¼ cup oats or unsweetened
½ tsp cinnamon
- Whisk the first 6 ingredients together, then add pureed carrots and mix well.
- Put the mixture into a large saucepan and cook on medium heat, whisking often, until the mixture starts to bubble, about 6-8 minutes. Continue cooking until the mixture is thick and a visible ribbon forms when spooning it across the top.
- Pour the filling into the prepared tart shell (see below) still hot, and cool the whole mixture together for several hours. Serve cold with whipped cream.
- Put the dates in the food processor and pulse until it forms a ball or makes a paste.
- Remove the dates from the food processor and pulse the nuts, cinnamon, spice and oats into a meal. Add the dates back in a little at a time, continuing to pulse the processor.
- Press the mixture by hand into a tart pan (the silicone ones are ideal as they’re so easy to turn the tarts out).
- Fill the tart and put in the fridge for a few hours before serving with whipped cream.