Recipe by Laura Lushington
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1 ½ Tbs (22 mL) lemon juice
3 egg yolks
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp cayenne
6 eggs, poached
3 English muffins, halved and toasted
6 slices back bacon or ham
- Slowly melt butter over medium heat. Keep warm over low heat.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, beat egg yolks until thickened. Add lemon juice.
- Remove eggs from double boiler and slowly add melted butter. Add salt, pepper and cayenne. Beat until sauce is thick.
- Fill a saucepan 2/3 full with water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat until water is no longer boiling.
- Crack one egg into a cup. Bring the edge of the cup close to the water and gently slide egg in.
- Simmer eggs for 3 to 5 minutes. The whites should be firm.
- Remove eggs from water with slotted spoon. Drain before serving.
- Cook bacon or ham, and toast English muffin.
- Place slice of bacon or ham on English muffin, top with poached egg and hollandaise sauce.