¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup plus 1 Tbs margarine, softened
¾ cup white sugar
Pinch of salt
2 whole eggs
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
4¼ cups pastry flour
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a stand mixer, cream butter, margarine on medium speed. Add sugar and salt, and beat for one minute. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Reduce speed to low, add eggs and vanilla, and beat for one minute.
- Add flour and mix until almost incorporated, then add cranberries and walnuts and mix well. Mixture will have a sandy texture but as long as it is moist, and can be shaped into a log, it will be fine.
- On a floured surface, shape dough into log, and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place in fridge to chill, about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from fridge, unwrap, and slice into ½ cm thick slices. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes, or until firm and undersides slightly golden. Let cool on sheet for about 2 minutes, and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.