Recipe and Photo by of Dan Clapson
2½ cups (600 mL) cream
1 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
¼ cup fresh dill stems
2½ cups (600 mL) chicken broth
1 cup (240 mL) water
2 Tbs unsalted butter
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
½ red onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbs capers
½ cup crumbled goat cheese
⅓ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
½ cup candied salmon, loosely chopped
salt and pepper
croutons or crostini for garnish
- Place cream, onion, garlic and dill stems in a medium pot on low heat. Cover and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Remove aromatics, add chicken broth, increase to medium-high heat and let come to a simmer.
- In a separate small pot, melt butter and add flour to form a roux. Add to soup pot, stir and liquid should thicken noticeably. Reduce to medium heat.
- Add sliced red onion, capers, cheese and fresh dill into the pot and stir until well incorporated. Let cook, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add candied salmon to the pot 5 minutes before serving, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with croutons and a few dill fronds and serve.