Recipe & Photo by Dan Clapson
1 Tbs butter
1 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups leftover mashed potatoes or 3 medium red potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups (480 mL) water
1 cup (240 mL) vegetable stock
2 cups (480 mL) half and half
3 celery stalks, diced
2 Tbs fresh sage, finely chopped
2 Tbs (30 mL) white wine
2 cups cooked turkey meat, roughly chopped
To taste salt and pepper
Garnish sage leaves and canola oil, optional
- Heat butter in a medium pot on medium-high heat. Add diced onion and garlic, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add leftover mashed potatoes, water and vegetable stock to the pot, and puree with an immersion blender until very smooth. If using raw potatoes, add to pot along with water and stock, bring to a simmer and cook until tender, then puree contents of pot with an immersion blender or in a blender.
- Add the next 4 ingredients, allow mixture to come to a simmer, reduce
- to medium heat, cover and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, add turkey meat and let cook for another 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
For optional garnish: Heat canola oil in a small pot on high heat until very hot. Add a few sage leaves at a time and fry for approximately 15 seconds. Transfer to paper towel to absorb excess oil, season with salt, and place on top of soup before serving.