Recipe by Dan Clapson
¼ cup pancetta (1/4” cubed)
1 yellow onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
4 cups green kale (stems removed, thinly sliced)
2 ½ cups (600 mL) chicken stock
4 cups (960 mL) half and half cream
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs (30 mL) water
salt and pepper
- Cook the pancetta in a large pot on medium high heat until crispy on all sides, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and let rest on paper towel to absorb any excess fat.
- Using the same pot, reduce heat to medium and sauté the onion and garlic in the pancetta fat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the kale, stock, cream and spices. Once the mixture begins to bubble, reduce to low heat and let simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until liquid reduces by approx a third.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water, and stir into the soup to thicken slightly.
- Return the cooked pancetta to the pot and let cook for 5 minutes. Lastly, remove the bay leaf and season soup generously with salt and pepper.