This creamy, tomato-y, chicken-y pasta dish has a touch of warming spice, and is pure comfort food. We’re delighted to be asked for this recipe, many thanks to Chef Shaun Halstead for sharing it with us!
1 cup sundried tomatoes
6 cloves garlic, peeled (4 chopped, 2 whole for sundried tomato pesto)
1 cup (240 mL) extra virgin olive oil
10 fresh basil leaves
1 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
4 chorizo sausages
2 chicken breasts
1 box rigatoni
1 yellow onion, diced
½ cup butter
1 tsp chili flakes
1 cup (240 mL) white wine
4 cups (1 L) heavy cream Italian parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in hot water until soft, then squeeze water out.
- For sundried tomato pesto, add soaked sundried tomatoes, 2 whole cloves of garlic, olive oil, basil leaves, and ½ cup of Parmesan cheese in a food processor. Puree until smooth, and add salt to taste.
- Roast chorizo in oven at 325º F until browned, then slice in half lengthwise and cut in to ½ cm pieces.
- Bake chicken breasts with a little olive oil and salt in 325º F oven. When cool, pull into small pieces.
- Cook rigatoni noodles according to directions on box.
- In a pot add a little oil, chorizo and onions, and cook until onions are translucent. Add butter, chili flakes, and chopped garlic, and cook until butter melts. Deglaze with white wine and add cream, reduce by half.
- Add chicken breast, sundried tomato pesto, and rigatoni noodles. Cook until hot then divide between 4-6 bowls, and finish with Parmesan cheese and chopped Italian parsley.