Recipe courtesy Darren Keogh, Thomsons
Photo by Ingrid Kuenzel
400g stewing beef
¾ cup (200 mL) Guinness
2 large carrots, diced large
1 large onion, diced large
2 celery sticks, diced large
1 portabella mushroom, diced large
Bunch of each fresh thyme & parsley
4 garlic cloves
4 cups (1 L) thick beef stock
1 bay leaf
To taste, salt and pepper
- Season and brown the beef in a wide-based pan. Don’t overload the pan.
- Once browned, cover with water and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Sweat vegetables and garlic.
- Drain the beef, but keep the cooking liquid.
- Add beef to vegetables and cover with Guinness, reducing by almost half, before adding beef stock and cooking on a low heat for 30 min. If you need more liquid use reserved cooking liquid
- Add chopped parsley, thyme and the whole bay leaf to stew. Simmer for 30 minutes until meat is tender.
- Cut puff pastry into the shape you’ll need to cover your serving dish and bake at 350 for 10-15 min until it rises.
- Adjust seasoning of the stew if needed. Cracked black pepper works great with this dish. Spoon the stew into oven proof serving dish, cover with pastry and bake for 5 mins
Serve with champ (mash potato and green onion) and honey roast root vegetables