You don’t need a special occasion to whip out your slow cooker, but for Kosta Galanos, Executive Chef at Smoke N Fusion in Calgary, there’s no better time than a chilly November Grey Cup Sunday.
“When I think of a football party, I automatically think of something like chili because it’s cold out,” says chef Galanos. “If I’m hosting, I do something like pulled pork or chicken wings – things that go with beer.”
He says dishes like pulled pork and slow cooked brisket make for a perfect shareable game day meal, and all the prep work can be done the day before. All you need to do is toss your ingredients in the night before, and let your cooker do the rest!
Try Smoke N Fusion’s mouthwatering recipe for Dr. Pepper pulled pork.
2¼ kg pork shoulder
3 Tbs garlic powder
3 Tbs onion powder
2 Tbs paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
2 cups (500 mL) Dr. Pepper
- Mix all spices together well in a bowl.
- Rub pork shoulder generously with spice mixture.
- Put pork in your slow cooker. Add Dr. Pepper.
- Turn slow cooker on low, and leave for 7 to 8 hours (or your preferred cooking time).
- Once pork is cooked, use a fork to pull apart.
- Serve on its own, on buns, or with your favourite side dish.