Recipe & Photo by Renee Kohlman
2 cups all purpose flour
½ cup wholewheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup (240 mL) warm water
1 package dry active yeast
1 Tbs (15 mL) maple syrup
¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
8 Tbs pesto (see link below)
1 cup bocconcini, sliced
handfuls of arugula, cherry tomatoes, black olives, crumbled feta
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flours and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and maple syrup. Let stand 5-10 minutes until frothy then pour this into the mixer along with olive oil.
- Using the dough hook, beat the mixture until a smooth dough forms, adding a few tablespoons of flour if it’s too sticky - you want a smooth dough. Scoop into a large greased bowl, cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Line two baking sheets with parchment and cut dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion out on a lightly floured surface - aiming for ½ cm thickness and an oblong shape. Place each piece onto parchment - two per tray.
- Let rise for 10 minutes then spread each with 2 Tbs (30 mL) pesto, and slices of bocconcini cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
- When out of oven, top with chopped cherry tomatoes, handfuls of arugula, crumbled feta and black olives.