We love hearing from you to request your favourite recipes from your favourite restaurants, and particularly to receive requests like this:
“My husband and I would be thrilled if you could track down the recipe for Model Milk’s Fricassee of Calamari dish! It is our absolute favourite – but with a new baby, we don’t seem to get too many nights out anymore!”
Emily C, Calgary
Many many thanks to Model Milk for sharing the recipe for this super delicious dish!
4 Tbs cured guanciale, medium dice
1 tsp garlic, thinly sliced
1 tsp white onion, brunoise
1½ Tbs Korean chilli
2 cups U10 squid tubes, top and bottom removed, and sliced into 0.5 cm strips
¼ cup shelled edamame beans
2 Tbs cherry/grape tomatoes, halved, tossed in oil, and dehydrated in a 150º F oven until shrivelled
¼ tsp of lemon peel, skin only, very small dice
¼ cup butter, medium dice
¼ cup garlic croutons
Lemon juice to taste
To taste Salt
3 Tbs fresh mint, finely chopped
- Render guanciale (no oil) in an 20 cm skillet over medium heat until starting to lightly brown and crisp, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and onion and toss constantly until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add Korean chilli until lightly toasted, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add squid and toss frequently until the strips are starting to go opaque, about 2-5 minutes.
- Add edamame, tomatoes, and lemon and toss until combined.
- Slowly add in butter, one knob at a time, until homogenous and all ingredients are glazed.
- Add garlic croutons, season with lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Plate and garnish with mint.