1.5 - 2 kg rump roast
1-2 small potatoes per person, peeled
5 large carrots, cubed
1 turnip, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
3 Tbs salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp dry parsley flakes
3/4 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
3/4 cup green beans (fresh or frozen)
3 Tbs cornstarch
- Put roast in middle of roasting pan. Place potatoes, carrots, turnip and onion around roast.
- Add cold water to cover potatoes then add salt, pepper and parsley. Stir to evenly distribute spices.
- Place in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 400º F. Then reduce temperature to 350º F for 2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Halfway through cooking add peas and beans. Add more water if necessary.
- 15 minutes before serving, cut roast into bite size pieces (2-5 cms). Put stew on top of a large burner and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Mix cornstarch and 1 cup (240 mL) cold water in measuring cup and stir into stew to thicken.
- Let stew simmer on low heat for 15 minutes before serving.