This stuffed zucchini main course recipe is a quick and easy meal idea. You can add chorizo to the recipe for more deliciousness!
Photo by Natalie Findlay
4 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
250 g cooked rice
1 small onion, chopped small
2 cloves garlic, chopped small
80 g sweet picante peppers (like pepadew), roughly chopped
60 g olives, pitted and roughly chopped (your favourite kind)
60 g sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp thyme
2 cups (500 mL) stock
60 g feta, crumbled
To Taste salt and pepper parsley, chopped fine to garnish
1 lemon, zested
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place cooked rice in a medium bowl.
- Set a sauté pan on medium heat with a dash of olive oil. Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add to rice.
- Add peppers and olives to the rice and stir to combine. Add the oregano, thyme, salt and pepper, adjust seasoning to taste.
- Place the hollowed-out zucchini in a baking dish, and top with the rice mixture. Pour the stock into the pan (not on the zucchini), and cover the dish with foil. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and add the feta. Place back into the oven and turn the oven to broil for a few minutes until the feta starts to change colour.
- Remove and garnish the stuffed zucchinis with chopped parsley and grated lemon zest as desired. Serve using a long spatula, as zucchini will have become softer and not as sturdy.