Recipe & Photo courtesy of Green & Black's Organic Chocolate.
8 oz (226 g) cremini mushrooms, cleaned, quartered and stems removed
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
2 bell peppers, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp lime juice
1 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 can (19 1/2 oz / 576 ml) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (19 1/2 oz / 576 ml) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (28 oz / 828 ml) no salt added diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 oz (42 g) Green & Black’s Organic 85% Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
Cilantro, corn tortillas and shredded cheese, if desired
- In a food processor, pulse the mushrooms until they reach the consistency of ground meat. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and celery and sauté until they become soft and translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the chipotle with the residual adobo sauce, cumin, chili and cinnamon and stir until well coated.
- Add in the lime juice, soy sauce, beans, tomatoes and brown sugar. Let the chili simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, until it thickens slightly.
- Stir in the chocolate until melted and then taste to adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top it off with cilantro, corn tortillas or cheese if desired.