Coming to us from Anthony Pittoello at Modern Steak in Calgary, this recipe is a traditional Easter favorite!
1 lamb rack (leave rib cap on if you want, or try your hand at Frenching the bone!)
1 Tbs (15 mL) canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs thyme, picked and chopped
½ shallot, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ parsley bunch, chopped
12 chives, sliced into rounds
3 green onions (green parts only), sliced into rounds
10 basil leaves, chopped
½ cup (120 mL) olive oil
2 Tbs (30 mL) red wine vinegar
¼ tsp chili flakes
- Combine all chimichurri ingredients in a small bowl. Flavours will get better after it sits for a few hours.
- Bring lamb rack out to temper before cooking, about 5 to 10 mins (this ensures a more accurate doneness so meat isn’t still cold in the middle when it goes onto the grill).
- Coat the lamb evenly with canola. Liberally sprinkle with salt and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 450º F — the hotter the grill, the better for the meat. Cook medium rare, or your preferred doneness.
- Sprinkle thyme on the crust while the rack is hot so it will stick. Rest the meat before cutting, around 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the size.