Recipe by Dan Clapson
1 Tbs (15 mL) canola oil
⅓ cup diced pancetta
¼ cup (60 mL) white wine
1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 Tbs all-purpose flour
3 cups (750 mL) half and half
3 cups (750 mL) pork broth
1 tsp garlic powder
½ teaspoon chilli powder
⅔ cup Velveeta cheese
1 cup mild gouda, grated
1 Tbs (15 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
½ tsp ground black pepper
2½ cups cooked elbow macaroni
Breadcrumbs and crushed barbecue potato chips, for garnish
1 cup diced tomatoes, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add diced pancetta and cook until crispy on all sides, about 5-6 minutes.
- Next, deglaze with white wine and add sliced onion. Cook for approximately 8 minutes or until wine reduces almost completely.
- Sprinkle all-purpose flour over the mixture and stir until absorbed. Pour in cream and broth and let come to a simmer.
- Reduce to medium heat, add all remaining ingredients except macaroni and let cook, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in cooked macaroni and ladle out into bowls. Top generously with breadcrumbs and chip mixture, and diced tomatoes.
Total cook time 35 minutes